Understanding User Management
In this article, you will learn the principles of User Management in 3D Repo and we will cover the basics of:
- Inviting/Adding a user to the Teamspace
- Granting project access to various users
- Managing user permissions
- Differentiate between Admin levels
Introduction to User Management
Log into 3D Repo and head over to User Management.
The options in this tab allow you to manage and have control over:
- Inviting new users to 3D Repo
- Sharing your Teamspace/Models/Federations with new and existing users
- Managing User Permissions
In the User Management window, you will be presented with a list of users that belong to yours or another Teamspace.
Here are the main functionalities you’ll be using:
- Teamspace selection for when you add & remove users
- Users tab containing the list of users that belong to a selected Teamspace
- Projects tab is where you manage project & model access permissions for each individual user
- Jobs tab is where you create roles and assign them to Users
- Add a User button allows you to search & add an existing user or invite a new one
Add/Invite a user to the Teamspace
There are two ways of adding new users to the Teamspace:
- Search & Add an existing user from our database
- Send an invitation via an E-mail
Add an existing User
When you add an existing user to the Teamspace, they will NOT automatically be granted access to any of the projects or models.
You will need to head over to the Projects Tab and manage their access permissions from there.
You can search for a new user using the following information:
- E-mail address
If a user does not exist or can not be found, you can send them an invitation to register for a 3D Repo account.
Invite a new User
Let’s have a look at the principles of Inviting users to the Teamspace.
When you send the invite you’ll have to provide the following information:
- Recipients E-mail address
- Job (their role in the teamspace)
- Level of permissions
Note that unlike with adding a new user you can predefine project & model permissions in your invitations.
You can send & manage invitations in the User Management window.
Once added some users to a Teamspace, you can manage their level of project access & ownership.
There are 3 tiers of project users in 3D Repo:
- Teamspace Admin
- Project Admin
- Project User
You have full control of the teamspace and can manage/assign other Teamspace Admins, Project Admins and Users. Manage all the data stored in the Teamspace including the Projects, Models, Issues & Risks.
You only have full control of a Project (multiple projects) within the Teamspace. You can manage and assign Admins or Users to that Project. Manage all the data stored in the Project including Models, Issues & Risks.
Note that Project Admin rights can only be assigned under project permissions. When you are an Admin, you can change project permissions for other users also.
You only have access to a select few models/projects. Your model access is automatically restricted to one of the 4 levels of permissions (Unassigned, Commenter, Viewer, Collaborator). As a result, you can not manage other users.
Whilst the Project Admin has full control, Users can be limited to individual models/federations within a project.
Any Teamspace may contain multiple projects, but only a single list of users to choose from.
When you select a project you can choose how many models each user has access to.
Level of Permissions
There are four tiers of user permissions in 3D Repo that manage the level of access to individual models/federations.
When you assign a new user to a model/federation you can select one of the following options:
- Unassigned (No model/federation Access)