The objective of this article is to provide an introductory understanding of Node-RED and to see how it works with 3D Repo.
Node-RED is a great tool for connecting to 3D Repo’s APIs for model checking, analysis and data mining. Its graphical programming interface is similar to popular tools such as Grasshopper or Dynamo and allows users advanced filtering of metadata and visualising the results in 3drepo.io. Insights depend on the quality of the models and preferred format is IFC for its interoperability, wide industry adoption and standardised data schema. 3D Repo supports BCF in and out which allows smooth integration to existing workflows.
For the purpose of advanced search and analytics, Node-RED is installed and runs locally. Node-RED flows can be deployed in the cloud as well, however, running Node-RED on your computer is more cost-effective and also safer as you will be sending username and password in API calls.
- Export IFC model from your BIM authoring tool
- Upload the file to 3repo.io through a web browser
- Search and analyse data in Node-RED
- Visualise results in 3drepo.io and share with your team
Node-RED is a Node.js application which has to be installed first: make sure you have a supported version of Node.js before installing Node-RED. Follow the instructions below:
- Open Command Prompt on your Windows and type node-red to run it
- Access Node-RED editor in your browser (Chrome, Edge or Firefox) at http://localhost:1880
- You can start creating your first flow and more information can be found here
If you want to test Node-RED with our APIs, we a have a sample script for your ready to use.
Follow every step to see how you can automate 3D Repo environment without even opening our platform.